"Shady Side, Maryland, a village of a thousand homes, lies on a peninsula of land washed
by the Chesapeake Bay on one side and West River on the other; it is situated just south of Annapolis.
The community is rich in history and folklore, for its people in many instances were born and raised there,
as were their families before them. More recent arrivals quickly assimilate into the neighborhood,
sharing a common love of a rural felicity seldom found elsewhere. On a spring morning one awakens to the
sharp cry of gulls circling overhead, the angry squawk of mallard ducks startled by a curious dog
as they waddle across a yard, crackling sounds of a jib being released as a boat comes about in the channel,
a sighing of wind through tall old trees and faint echoes of earlier residents mingling in nature's sound,
soft voices coming back to us through the veil of time."
-Excerpt from Spirit of Shady Side, Peninsula Life 1664-1984 by Virginia White Fitz (Available through the Captain Avery Museum - www.captainaverymuseum.org)
|Location: 38°50'N 76°31'W||Housing Units: 1,804 in 1990|
|Land Area: 7.33 square miles (4,694 acres)||Water Area: 0.58 square miles (372 acres)|
|FIPS code: 71450 [SourceCBP]||County: Anne Arundel|
|was named in 1959 [SourceGSP]||Current Population 5,559 [Source 2000 Census]|